Russian Ministry of Education and Science hosted the first Programme Committee meeting of the “BRICS Water Forum”
Participants of the meeting chaired by Dr Victor Danilov-Danilyan, Director of the RAS Institute of Water Problems, discussed practical aspects of organising the International Scientific and Practical Conference “BRICS Water Forum”, made several important decisions, and agreed the next steps.
Following introductory remarks by Mrs Lyudmila Ogorodova, Deputy Minister of Education and Science of the Russian Federation, the meeting participants discussed the draft Conference Programme and approved the following thematic sessions for the forum:
- Use of transboundary water resources;
- Hydropower. Major water resources-related challenges;
- Flood risks management;
- Water resources management;
- Agricultural water use;
- Innovative water treatment and water purification technologies;
- Economic and social issues of water use, including drinking water supply;
- Water quality in natural reservoirs;
- River transport in the 21st century.
The draft Conference Programme is still preliminary, and will be further amended by the Programme Committee when all submitted papers are reviewed.
The forum’s website (http://bricswater.org/) is now fully operational, and serves as the main source of information about the forthcoming event.
The next Programme Committee meeting with participation of BRICS countries’ representatives is scheduled for 20 June, 2016.